This Policy applies to all of our Services, and describes how we collect, use, and disclose information we obtain about the Services, and about users of the Services.
Information We Collect
We collect information so that we can better serve our users and customers, enhance our Services, create new products, and benefit our business. You can browse certain portions of our websites without registering. However, to use many of our Services you must be a registered user. We collect the information in at least three ways:
- Information you share with us.To get the most from our Services, we ask you to create a Profile and provide your name, user ID, email address, and other personal information. This may include profile information from social networks through which you create an account or access our Services, and the other information made available to third parties by those networks. Depending on the Service you are using (and whether you are using the Declara Enterprise Edition™ of our Platform through your employer or another entity), we may also ask for your job title, employer, employee ID, government identifiers, education history, work history, demographic information, and other personal information. We may also collect information that you provide us when you communicate with us, whether you do so through the Services, send us messages via a chat feature, email us, or otherwise.
- Information from your use of our Services.Our Platform personalizes your learning journey in a number of ways. For example, it recommends relevant experts for you to follow based on factors like which other experts you follow and the searches you conduct. It also learns how you learn, paying attention to whether you prefer to watch a video, read an in-depth article, or scan a short summary. It does these things by taking into account how you access and use the Services, which may include collecting information such as:
- Device information about the devices you use to access the Services, such as your operating system, hardware, mobile network, phone number, and unique device identifier such as an IMEI number.
- Log information, which helps us to learn what interests you based on links you click and searches you conduct, details about your navigation through our Services, the dates and times of your activity, referral URLs, cookies and similar technology, Flash local shared objects, web beacons, your IP addresses, browser type, languages, hardware settings, device events like crashes and system activity, server logs, digital certificates, and certification numbers.
- Location information, such as GPS, WiFi, and satellite signals, location metadata from content you upload to or share using the Services, such as links, articles, pictures, and so on, and if you access our Services from a mobile device, we may ask to collect your location information from that device.
- Features You Use, such as your collections, courses, questions, answers, insights, posts, chats, communications, content you create, curate, and share, and related information (including, for example, metadata associated with that content). When you access our Services via another social network, that other network may make personal information available to us.
- Information from others.If you’re using Declara Enterprise Edition, you are accessing the Services though your employer or another entity, which may share with us information like your job title, department, employee ID number, work-related activities, and advancement opportunities. We may also collect information from other users who communicate with you through the Services, by posting, commenting, chatting, or otherwise.
We may combine collected information, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, with other information about you and/or others from third parties, including for example information from research, marketing, advertising, and/or similar or related entities, their respective affiliates, and others with whom they do business.
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our Services;
- To personalize our Services for you and make highly relevant and context-aware the information, recommendations, and experts we share with and identify for you.
- To communicate with you about your use of our Services (including via email), to respond to your inquiries, and for other customer relationship purposes.
- To better understand how users access and use our Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Services; to respond to user desires and preferences; to develop reports for our customers; and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To tailor the content, information, and recommendations that we may send or display to you, to offer personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using our Services.
- To develop reports and related analysis regarding user activities.
- To provide you with recommended reading, video and other media, links, information, people (such as experts), and other learning opportunities we think may interest you.
- As required by law.
We may share your information, including personal information, with others as follows:
- Other Users and Visitors. Any information that you include in your posts, collections, courses, questions, answers, insights, comments, and other features of the Services, including without limitation your name, content, and text, all of which may be available to, and searchable by, other users and visitors to our website and other Services.
- Your Entity and System Administrator. If you are using Declara Enterprise Edition, we may share information we collect about you with the institution or other entity with which you are affiliated (e.g., your employer or university), including without limitation any reports or other analysis.
- View statistics regarding your Enterprise Edition account, like statistics regarding applications you install.
- Change your Enterprise Edition account password.
- Suspend or terminate your Enterprise Edition account access.
- Access or retain information stored as part of your Enterprise Edition account.
- Receive your account information in order to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- Restrict your ability to delete or edit information or privacy settings.
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect about you to our subsidiaries, affiliates, and others with whom we do business. If we do so, their use and disclosure of your personal information will be subject to this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect about you to third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, and/or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
- Third Parties. We may share information we collect about you with third parties for their research, educational purposes, and/or similar or related purposes.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of any bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected about you as part of any such transaction or proceeding
- Legal Process. We may disclose the information we collect about you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal, quasi-legal, or regulatory process or requirement with which we reasonably believe we should comply, such as in response to a subpoena or upon advice of our legal counsel.
- To Protect Us and Others. We may disclose the information we collect about you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of ourUser Agreement(including without limitation this Policy), or in connection with threatened or actual litigation (or any other mediation or dispute resolution process) in which we or any of our subsidiaries or affiliates are involved.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregated or de-identified information about users with third parties for research, business, educational, marketing, advertising, and/or similar or related purposes.
You may be able to post or otherwise share content using our Services, including without limitation your comments, works of authorship, pictures, and any other information that you would like to be available. If you post content to our Services, all of the information that you post may become available to all users of our Services, or visitors to our websites. If you post your own content, your posting may become public and Declara cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third-party websites. Declara is not responsible for the information practices of such third-party websites.
We have implemented safeguards to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, mobile devices, and computers by, among other things, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, keeping your log-in and password private, and signing off after using a shared computer. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
You may modify the profile information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified, or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages for a period of time, and we may also retain a copy of such information in our systems and servers.
We may transfer the information we collect about you to other countries, including without limitation the United States where Declara is located, which may provide a different level of data protection as in your home country. Your data also may be subject to access by law enforcement and other government entities, including courts and tribunals in accordance with the laws applicable in those jurisdictions.
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
California residents may request a list of certain third parties to which we have disclosed personally identifiable information about you for their own direct marketing purposes. You may make one request per calendar year. In your request, please attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for your response. You may request this information in writing by contacting us at: email@example.com. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response.
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will revoke the child’s access and remove such information from our Services.
- Do-Not-Track Signals. We do not track your activities after you leave our Services. While using our Services, you may disable certain tracking as discussed below (e.g., by disabling cookies), although many of our Services will not function properly with cookies disabled. So-called “do-not-track” requests are not recognized.
- Local Storage Objects.We may use Flash Local Storage Objects (“Flash LSOs”) to store your preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose “Global Storage Settings Panel” and follow the instructions
- Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies.Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Services to, among other things, track the activities of users, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage. We or our service providers may also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
If you have questions or comments about this Policy or the privacy aspects of our Services, please contact us at:
977 Commercial St.
Palo Alto, CA 94303 USA
Attn: Chief Legal Officer
This Policy is current as of the date it was last modified as set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy at corp.declara.com/privacy. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by announcing the change on our Services or otherwise notifying you as indicated in the User Agreement.